Meet the gender Unicorn. This was included in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) training presentation on handling transgender issues under the new CMS policy that goes into effect on August 29th. It’s startling enough that the school district feels they have sovereignty to directly disobey state statute as outlined in HB2, but some of the stuff in here is shocking.
Check out some of these quotes:
1. Parental involvement dependent on student’s permission: “Involvement of parents in the plan is determined in working with the student, considering the student’s age and health, wellbeing and safety concerns” (pg. 34).
2. Students can choose their bathrooms and changing facilities: “Students must have access to the restroom/changing facilities that correspond to their gender identity” (pg. 42).
3. CMS will remove some gender-based activities: “CMS will evaluate all gender-based activities; maintain only those that have clear and sound pedagogical purpose” (pg. 46).
4. Students can choose their gender-based activities (intramural sports, dress codes, classes, ceremonies, photos, extracurricular activities, etc). This includes choosing which gender they participate with during overnight field trips: “Students are permitted to participate in gender-based activities consistent with their gender identity.” (pg. 46).
5. Students can no longer be referred to as “boys and girls” in classrooms, but “scholars” or “students.”: “Avoid gender specific classroom management techniques” (pg. 46).
It’s a serious offense for Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools to openly ignore and violate state statute and the common-sense safety and privacy protections HB2 affords children. But it’s a whole other level to guide teachers on keeping parents in the dark, and allowing students to choose which dressing room they use, or which gender they’ll stay with at overnight field trips. CMS is going directly against the US Supreme Court which on August 3rd issued a stay to blocked the 4th Circuit of Appeals ruling that would have allowed a girl to use the boys’ bathroom.
First and foremost, parents are responsible for their kids–especially their education. We need you to sign this letter to CMS and then join us at the August 9th School Board meeting at 6pm at the Char-Meck Gov’t Center.
NC Values Coalition has said it is planning a rally at 5PM outside the Charlotte Government Center immediately prior to the CMS Board of Education Meeting at 600 E 4th Street in Charlotte, NC. If you wish to make a public comment during the board meeting you must register by calling Board Services, 980-343-5139:
Dear Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education:
As a parent, I am deeply concerned about the policy Charlotte-Mecklenburg School System (“CMS”) adopted on June 20, 2016. This policy ignores both federal and state law, and jeopardizes the privacy, safety, and dignity of my child(ren). My child(ren) feel both anxious and disrespected faced with the reality that this new policy will force them to share intimate facilities with members of the opposite sex, threatening their well-being and peace of mind on a day-to-day basis. As an educational institution, you have a responsibility to protect every child’s right to privacy. There exist commonsense solutions that individual school districts can enact to protect every child’s right to privacy, but regrettably these were not adopted.
CMS’ decision reflects neither courage, understanding, nor compassion. On the contrary, it violates hundreds of children’s privacy rights and dignity interests by forcing students to share restrooms, locker rooms, and accommodations on overnight trips with members of the opposite biological sex. As parents and as school administrators and teachers, we cannot sacrifice the dignity and privacy of any of our students. I respectfully request an explanation regarding how you believe this new policy protects the privacy rights and dignity interests of every student entrusted to your care, specifically those students who cannot undress, shower, or share a room with a member of the opposite biological sex.
In consideration of the US Supreme Court’s (5-3) decision to stay the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling allowing a Gloucester County High School student access to use the boys’ bathroom, I request you immediately reconsider your bathroom & transgender policy. As we rapidly approach the start of the 2016-2017 school year, I look forward to your timely response regarding our concerns. We reserve the right to take any legal action to ensure that our child(ren)’s dignity interests and privacy rights are protected.
Contact Your Charlotte-Mecklenburg School Board
Ann Clark, Superintendent, [email protected] 980-343-3000
Mary McCray, Chairperson, [email protected] 704-281-6074
Elyse Dashew, Vice Chairperson, [email protected] 704-659-6994
Ericka Ellis Stewart, [email protected] 704-412-8565
Rhonda Lennon, [email protected] 704-564-3382
Thelm Byers, [email protected] 980-272-1943
Ruby Jones, [email protected] 704-579-1763
Tom Tate, [email protected] 704-502-3093
Eric Davis, [email protected] 704-651-0217
Paul Bailey, [email protected] 704-519-9096